As you’re driving around Brockton, Randolph or Stoughton, there’s always a chance that you’ll be involved in an accident. If you find yourself in the aftermath of a collision, there are several things you need to do. We at Collision 24 want to help take as much of the stress out of any accidents you’re involved in.
So, we’ve put together this post-accident checklist. Below, you’ll find detailed information on what to do to right after, at the scene of, and after an accident. Read ahead to get started!
Right After the Accident
- Assess the safety of your current situation. If you need to move to get out of harm’s way, make sure that’s the first thing you do. If moving will cause further injury, stay put.
- Once you’re out of harm’s way, assess your injuries and make sure everyone else involved in the accident is okay.
- Call 911. Tell the operator there’s been an accident and request an officer to come make a report. This is also the time to request an ambulance if it’s needed. Do whatever the 911 operator tells you to do to secure the scene.
- Call your insurance company to report the accident and request a tow truck, if possible. Make a note of where your vehicle is being towed and the company that’ll be towing it.
At the Scene of the Accident
Once everyone is safe and you’re waiting for the police and tow truck to arrive, there are some things you need to do, including the following:
- First and foremost, be polite. However, avoid admitting fault, so you don’t get stuck with covering the damages of the accident.
- Gather as much information as possible, including the names and insurance information of everyone involved in the accident as well as names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Document the accident by taking pictures and videos of the damage of both vehicles, any damaged property, and accident evidence, such as skid marks on the road.
- Also, take photographs of the area where the accident occurred, including street signs, surrounding businesses, and down the road.
- Write down a description of the accident while it’s still fresh in your memory. Dictate the exact time and date, weather conditions, traffic conditions, what happened, and what the other individuals involved in the accident said following the collision.
After the Accident
- Obtain a copy of any and all reports taken by police, emergency officials, and other individuals involved in the accident. This will help when it comes to settling your claim.
- Save all receipts relating to the accident, such as transportation from the accident scene, medical bills, and vehicle repairs.
- Get in touch with your auto insurance agent and follow all of the instructions they give you about filing your claim.
- Get your vehicle looked at and repaired by a professional.
Need Some Help?
We at Collision 24 hope this post-accident checklist gave you all the information you need to tackle the aftermath of an accident with confidence. Need some help getting your vehicle back to normal? Let us help! Drivers in Brockton, Randolph, and Stoughton should give us a call today to schedule an appraisal.